Eating Vegan at The Port Eliot Festival

11:01 Soph 0 Comments


A few weeks ago I was fortunate enough to attend the Port Eliot Festival for a long weekend, a bohemian style literary festival situated in a beautiful country estate in St Germans, East Cornwall. The festival is described as "an annual celebration of words, music, imagination, ideas, nature, food, fashion, flowers, laughter, exploration and fun" which is why it is such a refreshing atmosphere, encompassing beautiful music, inspiring literature, good food (the majority being vegetarian / vegan) and a community of likeminded souls. 

One of the highlights of the festival for me was the incredible vegan food, and the abundance of it! I was a bit hesitant as to whether there would be a variety of vegan options to sustain me for 4 days at the festival (as much as I enjoy noodles I wasn't sure I could stomach them for 3 meals a day, 4 days in a row). However when I arrived and saw the sheer variety of plant based food available I was both relieved and delighted. I thought I would share a few of my favourites incase any of you were thinking of visiting the festival next year, wanted to explore more vegan food companies (as they were all based in other locations permanently) or were just interested in the vegan options I tried! 


1. Luardos Mexican Street Food 

Luardos Mexican Street Food was my absolute favourite of the food options at the festival as it consisted of such delicious and authentic food at a reasonable price. They sold both Burritos and Nachos which consisted of tortilla / tortilla chips with rice, black beans, salsa, guacamole, lettuce and fresh corriander (also cheese, sour cream and the option of meat if not vegan). You could tell that all the components (such as salsa and guacamole) were homemade onsite with fresh, good quality ingredients as both the nachos and the burrito were delicious! Luardos Mexican Street Food is located in Kings Cross Market, Brockley Market and at a variety of festivals at events around the country (find out more at www.luardos.co.uk). 


2. Dog Town London 

Hot dogs and chips were my festival food expectations however never did I think I would find a tofu hot dog that tasted so good! Even my family who are extremely wary of just the word 'tofu' tried this hot dog and agreed that it tasted no different to a frankfurter sausage. As well as having the best hot dog I have ever tasted, the chips from this food stand were AMAZING and I am quite the passionate chip lover so this is a big statement to make! Whilst not the healthiest plant based meal, this was certainly one of convenience and made the perfect on-the-go festival lunch! They are permanently located in Central London, near Regent Street, at a venue called 'The Social' (find out more at www.dogtown-london.co.uk)


3. Pea Souk 

If you're looking for variety, Pea Souk is the option for you! With over 10 different lunch / dinner options from a festival food stand this was the perfect place for vegetarians and vegans. My favourite dish was the soybean burger with vegan cheese, beetroot salad and tomato chutney as the flavours blended perfectly, and it was a eclectic (and much healthier) twist on the classic cheeseburger. The other dishes available included falafel pittas, vegan sausage rolls, a mezze plate and an amazing selection of desserts. Unfortunately I tripped and dropped my piece of vegan cheesecake before I could take a picture but just trust me that it tasted incredible. Luckily for me Pea Souk is permanently located in Cornwall, as the cafe is situated in Falmouth, and therefore I can continue to try out the abundance of wholesome, healthy dishes but whether you live in the South West or not I would definitely recommend it! (find out more at www.peasouk.co.uk)


Aside from the food however, the music, setting and general atmosphere of the Port Eliot Festival was so inspiring that I would definitely recommend you attend if you are looking for a literary festival next summer. It runs annually, at the end of July / beginning of August and there is camping onsite meaning you are fully immersed in the community of festival goers looking for a memorable weekend spent in one of the most beautiful areas of England. To find out more information about the festival you can visit www.porteliotfestival.com or as always you can message me at @positivesoph on instagram or positivesoph@gmail.com. 

Keep your soul happy - Sophie :)

0 comments: